Nurses Working In:
ER- PACU – Endoscopy – Radiology – One Day Surgery – Anywhere Patients are Sedated
Know the differences in minimal sedation, moderate sedation, deep sedation, and general anesthesia.
Benefits of Course :
To take this course and become certified you must have a current PALS and or ACLS certification. Sedation Certification is a division of Healthy Visions, a nurse continuing education provider.
The learner will be able to:
· Discuss the differences between minimal sedation, moderate sedation, deep sedation, and general anesthesia.
· State 4 objectives/goals of sedation.
· Identify your institution’s policy regarding care of the patient undergoing sedation.
· Demonstrate care for the patient during pre-procedure, intra-procedure, and post-procedure phases of sedation.
· List the drugs, routes, and dosages for the drugs commonly used in moderate sedation.
· Discuss antidotes (dosage, side effects, indications) for commonly used drugs with sedation.
· Describe signs and symptoms of partial and complete airway obstruction.
· Demonstrate interventions to correct partial and complete airway obstruction.
· Identify side effects and contraindications to medications that have the potential to suppress a patient’s protective reflexes and respirations.
· Discuss the significance of utilizing the ASA classification during pre/post procedural pediatric and adult assessment.
· Integrate age-specific principles into care of the pediatric and geriatric patient undergoing moderate sedation.
· Document clearly, completely, and according to established standards, policies and instructions.
· Administer moderate sedation safely.
· Effectively manage complications which might arise during moderate sedation.[/tab]
Moderate Sedation Course Outline
· Scope of Practice of the sedation nurse
· History of sedation
· Definition levels of sedation
· State position statements on non-anesthetist RNs and sedation
· Indication for sedation
· Roll of the sedation nurse
· The continuum of sedation
· General approaches to conducting safe and effective Sedation
· Joint Commission policy and standards for patient sedation
· Pre-Operative Sedation Assessment
· ASA physical status
· Airway assessment
· Airway adjuncts
· Sedation/analgesic medications
· Anesthesia medications
· Reversal agents
· Emergency medications
· Geriatric age specific considerations
· Pediatric sedation
· Adverse events
· The Nightingale affect and nursing suggestions
· Final Exam
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider # CEP 15997 for 10 Contact Hours.
Healthy Visions is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC).Code # 5-133-2000 Expiration 9/1/2014.
This Sedation Certification Continuing Education training is approved for ANCC CE Credits and physician category II CMEs and the California Board of Registered Nursing.
The American Board of Certification for Gastroenterology Nurses (ABCGN) has designated Sedation Certification and Clinical Competency as GI-Specific for 6.75 contact hours.
Michael R. “Ron” Eslinger, RN, CRNA, MA, APN, Captain, USN Retired
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Master of Arts, Advanced Practice Nurse
The course director is Ron Eslinger, Captain USN Nurse Corps Retired. His positions included Chief CRNA and Assistant Department Head. He was Assistant Officer and Chief Nurse on the Navy Hospital Ship USNS Mercy. He also served as Officer-in-Charge Branch Medical Clinic, Parris Island, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Director of Patient Services and Senior Executive Nurse Beaufort Navy Hospital.
Ron was instrumental in the development of the IV Conscious Sedation Certification Training for five Navy Hospitals. He is currently owner of Healthy Visions Wellness Center, Clinton, Tennessee.
To order choose from the course type that suits your needs (Blue is link):
Online Moderate Sedation 10 CE Course – Get instant access to our online course. Includes all videos, course manual and exam also works on all Windows, Apple and Android devices.
DVD Home Study 10 CE Course – All video materials on DVD, printed course manual, online access for exam
Live Course Course – Join one of our instructors for a day of sedation learning in a live course.
For facilities who need to certify multiple staff members
Your Facility – Our instructor comes to your facility and instructs the course live to your staff.
Facility Agreement – Online access of all materials for your staff at a huge discount, available for 15 or more.
Or call 1-866-312-3159 for assistance.
Or call 1-866-312-3159 for assistance.